Morel mushrooms Australia
Morel mushrooms Australia are one of the most desired wild mushrooms in the world. They are not farmed like most grocery store mushrooms, Cremini, Portobello, Oyster, etc. but gathered in the wild. The part that we eat is the fruiting body of the underground organism called mycelium that has a complex symbiotic relationship with trees.
Dried morel mushrooms
The Morchella genus has been the subject of fascination and debate for centuries. Morchella Morel mushrooms Australia, Mycologists (mushroom scientists) cannot agree on how many subspecies of Morchella there are and the nomenclature is constantly under revision.
Morel mushroom price
However, doesn’t “a rose by any other name would smell as sweet?” Morel mushrooms for sale, Everyone can agree that morels are delicious and nutritious.
How To Identify Morel Mushrooms
How morels look can vary a lot depending on where they’re growing, what kinds of soil or trees are around them, and other factors.
- Some morels are short and stout, while others are long. They can range in color from grey to blonde. And they can be as big as your hand, or as small as a fingertip.
- But what usually gives away morels is their honeycomb pattern on the outside. Inside, morels are whiteish and hollow with a goosebump texture.
- If you cut it into a false morel, it will be filled with cotton-like white fibers inside instead of being hollow. Morel mushroom map
- When trying to distinguish real morels from some false morels, it’s important to make sure the base of the cap continuously runs into a whiteish stem. False morels hang freely off the stem. Morel mushroom map
- Compared to lookalike mushrooms, true morels are more uniformly shaped. They are pitted inwards instead of bulging outward, false morels tend to look more bulgy and wavy.
- Like every wild mushroom, you shouldn’t consume them unless you or someone you know is an expert at identifying them.
Never take a description or picture you saw on the internet to tell you that they’re definitively safe! If you have any doubts about whether you’re looking at a real morel, just don’t eat it.
How to Store Morels
Fresh, unwashed morels should be stored in a paper bag and used as quickly as possible. You can also store them in the fridge for up to a week, but this can also dry them out and alter the texture.
Morel mushroom price per kg Australia
To prolong the life of your morels, you can dry them by laying them out in the sunlight and rotating them. Dried morels will last up to six months stored in an airtight container. When you’re ready to use them, simply tap them with some water and wait. Pinch them a few times until they are plump and ready to use. Morel mushrooms for sale, Dried morels can also be frozen, and thawed for use in soups or purees.